We’re doing our best for the Environment
You can help too
If you don’t need to plug in your car, block-heater only, please don’t
If you don’t need to blow-dry your hair, please don’t
If you don’t need to use the electric heater in your room, please don’t. If you do, turn it up only as far as you need to–not all the way. It will kick in and out as needed.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors;
we borrow it from our children.”
— Wendell E. Berry
The BraeBurn Inn uses Geothermal energy as its heating/cooling source to help the environment. It was a major undertaking that required some major adjustments to our electrical supply. To take that a step further, we ask your help to keep power use down to a minimum as well. This will also help the environment.
We do care about our environment. Since we took over the BraeBurn Inn in 1999, we have done the following, specifically to that end:
- We switched to town water and sewer. When we took over in 1999, we discovered that the sewage grey water was being jetted straight into the dry creek bed behind us.
- We took out 10-feet of asphalt in front of the rooms, because gravel “breaths” better. Yes, we know, your rolling suitcases don’t roll as well. Sigh.
- We have planted at least 200 trees and bushes on the property since we took over and continue to plant more as time and money allow.
- We added a multi-room Purple Martin bird-apartment in 2018 to try to attract more birds to help combat mosquitoes.
- Between 2018-19 we have added a butterfly/bee garden with an eye to encouraging more of them in our area and, hopefully, helping them survive.
- We switched from plastic and foam cups to reusable glass tumblers and mugs immediately after we took over.
- We have implemented policies of reuse for linens and towels at customers’ discretion; and introduced body wash and shampoo dispensers to reduce the use of individual servings of soaps and shampoo to prevent them ending up in our landfills (although we still supply them for your convenience).
- We recycle plastic and glass bottles, cans, and any plastic bags, cardboard and newspaper generated in our rooms.
- We buy used vehicles because of the carbon and water cost of creating new vehicles.
- We have installed 4/3-litre dual-flush toilets to replace our 6-litre low-flow toilets throughout the motel which, in turn, had already replaced our older several-gallon variety. Most of the 6-litre toilets were donated to the Qu’Appelle Valley Centre for the Arts, the rest went to Re-Store in Regina to be reused where possible.
- We have installed low-wattage fluorescent light bulbs throughout the motel which we ensure are recycled properly as they wear out and we replace them with LED bulbs. Our yard lights are now also low wattage.
- We use recycled facial and toilet paper throughout the motel, and recycled paper towels for cleaning purposes.
- We have installed water filters on a separate drinking water system to the cold side of all the sinks in our rooms to replace bottled water. All our water is already town water.
- We have re-insulated all of our rooms, basement and apartment and continue to add more as time and projects allow.
- We have installed a six-tonne Geothermal Heating and Cooling system which involved drilling six wells 225 feet deep into the earth where heat-exchange fluids are heated or cooled in a ground-loop.
- We also use a solar system to preheat the water that goes to our water heaters. Excess heat from the geothermal system also goes into the water preheating system.
© Copyright by BraeBurn Inn
All rights reserved.